Nav Bar

Home Project Gallery Contact About Facebook Google+ Pinterest Twitter Bloglovin' Image Map

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Happy Birthday to me! And some Macklemore

I was originally going to bore you with how hard turning 30 was last year. How I decided to start new hobbies, like jewelry making and this blog.

But instead of a long winded post that no one wants to read, I decided I would share with you my new favorite artist, Macklemore. Sides, it's my birthday and I will do what I want to!

Same love

"No freedom 'til we're equal, damn right I support it." - Same Love by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis (lyrics



I am so proud to be a citizen of Washington State. In February 2012, our Governor signed legislation legalizing gay marriage. As part of the democratic process, signatures were collected to put a freeze on the law and to put it to a Democratic vote.

On November 6th, the People of Washington State approved Referendum 74, officially legalizing gay marriage. December 8th, 2012 marked the first same sex weddings. What a momentous occasion!

Same Love was written to encourage Washington voters to approve the referendum. It also points out how homophobia is rampant in hip hop.
"Misogyny and homophobia are the two acceptable means of oppression in hip-hop culture." - Macklemore
It seriously brings tears to my eyes every time I watch the video.

Thrift Shop




I just love this song. I get it stuck in my head and walk around the house singing:
"I'm gonna pop some tags!" - Thrift Shop by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis (lyrics)

I love the message. Why spend $50 on a designer tee shirt? Let's go to the thrift store and pick up perfectly awesome clothes on the cheap!

I love the thrift store. I love picking up purses that were once $50 to $100 for $5 to $10! I have scored shirts that would have originally been $25 to $45 for $10. I often find clothes still with the tags on!

Our local Good Will has a glitter sale where they sell high end dresses for dirt cheap. The money goes to retrain the homeless into jobs. Not only do I score on some awesome clothes, but I know my money is going to a good cause instead of supporting forced child labor, poor working conditions, 16 hour work days, making a dollar a month wages...

Sides, you know us bloggers love a good thrift store find. ;)

Otherside




I've only listened to a handful of his songs so far. I'm slowly working my way through his top 49 track list on YouTube. This is, so far, my the third favorite.

Macklemore builds on his own history of substance abuse. The first half of the song follows a kid who gets into syrup and ends up ODing. The second half of the song points out that most rappers don't even live the life they are singing about. It's all about making money and moving up on the charts.
"Us as rappers underestimate the power and the effects that we have on these kids
Blunt passed, ash in a tin, pack being pushed, harassed by the feds
The fact of it is most people that rap like this talkin' about some shit they haven't lived
Surprise, you know the drill
Trapped in a box, declined record sales
Follow the formula violence, drugs, and, sex sells
So we try to sound like someone else" - Otherside by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis (lyrics)
Again, the message is sound. I also love the sample of Otherside by Red Hot Chili Peppers, which is also about drug addiction.

How I discovered my LOVE for Macklemore

I am quick to say that I am NOT a fan of rap music.

Hip hop, on the other hand, is different. I am a fan of musicians who have a message to share. A positive, up-beat message to encourage peace and equality. To inspire! Macklemore fits this requirement.

I was introduced to Macklemore recently by my younger brother. He sent a link to the You Tube video of Same Love asking my mom and I if we recognized the producer. Apparently I went to school with the executive producer of the video.

After I responded to my brother how much I liked Same Love, he pointed me to Thrift Store. He explained that it is a really popular song AND I went to school with one of the guys in it. So much fun seeing a familiar face in this Seattle independent artist's music video!

I hope you enjoyed watching these videos and listening to Macklemore as much as I did when first discovering him.

Cheers!

17 comments:

  1. First, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!
    how nice of you to give us musical gifts on your birthday.. I hope you have a wonderful day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I thought that would be fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy, happy birthday, Bethany! Hope it was a fantasmagorial day.

    And I had not heard of Macklemore before Young House Love featured their Thrift Shop song in one of their posts. The song is so catchy...and I even heard it on the radio yesterday...so I think the love of Macklemore is catching!

    Like you, I've never been a huge fan of rap...but hip hop, I LOVE. In fact, tonight, I have hip hop class at our YMCA. It's seriously my favorite way to work out. My body just can't resist the beat...and I "trick" myself into working out. Ha ha. That's the way I have to do it.

    Anyway, thanks for sharing more great music from this new artist...and sending you a b-day hug all the way from Orlando.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy {Belated} Birthday! I hope it was amazing!

    ~Abby =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you!!!!! HUGS!!!!! For some reason I thought I replied to this. Maybe I did but didn't hit the "post comment" button. Haha! What a fabulous way to "trick" yourself into working out. I think it is definitely catching. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I suck at being a follower! Happy (belated) birthday! I'm also a huge fan of Macklemore! The album is incredible. Another Seattle hip hop group I like are the Blue Scholars. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww! No, worries! How are you doing?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doing well, actually. Been writing a lot, but I'm not sure if it's anything I want to actually publish. It's definitely cathartic, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. [...] bought myself a new camera for my birthday. {yay [...]

    ReplyDelete
  10. I heard an amazing interview with him on NPR the other day. Love him!
    --Elena
    acasarella.net

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just saw your thrift shop challenge post! So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Someone posted a picture on FB the other day of a thrift store marquee that read, "I'll wear your grand dads clothes.i'll look incredible."" It was classic:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's awesome. I'm constantly walking around the house singing this line. It's such a fun song. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Meghalaya Board 10th Class Blueprint 2023 2023 MBOSE 10th Blueprint 2023 MBOSE 10th Blueprint 2023 2023 we are making you aware about Meghalaya Board 10th Class Blueprint 2023 2023. The Every Year Meghalaya Board has Conducted SSLC Class Examination in the month of February/March. Meghalaya 10th Blueprint 2023 Meghalaya Board 10th Class Blueprint 2023 2023 MBOSE 10th Blueprint 2023 The Meghalaya Board of School Education will be announcing MBOSE 10th Class Exam Pattern 2023 available soon on official website www.mbose.in The Students are waiting for MBOSE 10th Blueprint 2023 2023 and Exam Admit card. MBOSE Tenth Class Exam Blueprint 2023 Download after some days on the official web portal.

    ReplyDelete